Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Decking the Halls

I love decorating for Christmas and thanks to Ryan's mom, my mom, and after Christmas clearance sales, we finally have a healthy amount of holiday decorations.
The main tree...The fancy tree...
If you're asking yourself how I have a fancy tree with so many little kids, I can assure you that it has already been knocked over twice. Thank goodness for the miracle of plastic ornaments.

My new addition this year was an advent calendar I made at our girl's craft night a few weeks ago. It was super easy (thanks to my friend Mona and her vinyl hookup), it's basically just vinyl numbers on a plate charger, and the marker is a cute fuzzy ball glued onto a magnet...I think my dear sweet husband has saved every single Christmas ornament he's ever had since birth, including the homemade variety from elementary school. (What can I say? He's a gentle giant...) He's too sentimental to throw them all out and I'm way too picky to put them all up, but I strung a select few with raffia and hung them on some of our garland. It turned out much better than expected... I have to give my props to Ryan for getting the lights up early this year, we usually end up with a better late than never situation, but this year he had them up Thanksgiving weekend.Kaydree was a big help but Carver's idea of helping looked more like this... So with the lights up and the ornaments hung, all that's left to do is a little shopping. We're not die hard Black Friday people, but we can appreciate a good deal as much as the next guy. So yes, we had most of our holiday shopping 'in the bag' before noon on black Friday. BUT, I will say that was NO thanks to our black Friday trip to Wal-Mart (aka the corporate spawn of satan) where I have never seen so many white-trash and foul smelling people in one location in my entire life (and I live next to the Texas Motor Speedway, hot spot for nascar lovers and mullet lovers alike). We were pushed, shoved, and disrespected to the point where both Ryan and I were happy to cut our losses and get the heck out of there totally empty handed. I have 2 words for you Wal-Mart: NEVER AGAIN! (never again on black friday, that is...hey, i still need groceries). That whole experience made me happy that I spend the majority of my time at home, where we are ready for a relaxing and stress-free holiday season!

8 comments:

Kristin Milius said...

Your an over acheiver....two trees...we are lucky to get one!!! Seriously!! Making me look real bad :)

Kristin Milius said...

Oh yea and how did u get the Initials on the stockings? I wanna do that but with whole names...

Echo said...

I hit walmart too, I came out with one item and that is only because a lady gave it to me! We made a haul last year at Walmart, but that was back in Idaho. I wish I had two trees...the more the merrier!

Spencer & Nikki said...

I was laughing so hard when you talked about Ryan and his ornaments... Spencer is the exact same. You're better than me because ours are still in the storage box.

Tiff said...

I understand about the black Friday ordeal, except ours was in Target. Up here at the Wal-Mart was awesome, though...no lines or anything. Check out peopleofwalmart.com if you want to see some funny pictures of people that shop at Wal-Mart. I was reminded of that when you were talking about the foul-smelling, white trash people there. Your house looks great and I love the stockings. I need to get some new decorations and stockings, but I'll probably do it after Christmas when everything's 50% off. I'm cheap.

Carrie said...

Yeah, I bought the stockings at Target after Christmas last year. If you want the entire names, I would just buy cheap stockings and take them to an embroidery place.

Nikki said...

Love the pictures and decorations. Wish we could come visit this Christmas, we'll miss y'all.

How do you keep your trees looking so nice? My kids are pretty good but if I ever have any visitors that's straight where they're headed, tree disaster.

Merry Christmas, post more pictures. We want to see "the girls" please.

Hillary said...

Love your decorations and Christmas pics! I'm glad i found your blog from Nicole's. I can't believe your twins are already 6 months old. They are just adorable and so are Kaydree and Carver. Sorry we didn't get to see you guys when we were in Texas but I hope you had a fun time with your fam.